Jen Maskiel

Where are they now?

When Jen Maskiel left Youthworks College six years ago, she moved to Brisbane with her husband, Stephen, and began volunteering in children’s ministry at Ashgrove Baptist Church while finishing her final subjects online through the Timothy Partnership.

Jen left College wanting to use her creative gifts—she worked as a dance teacher to support herself through College—to serve God in both children’s and creative arts ministry. Today, Jen juggles caring for her three children with her paid role as Ashgrove’s Children’s Ministry Coordinator, while also supporting the church’s creative arts ministry.

The demands of ministry with young children mean that sometimes Jen says she feels “like I am just treading water, keeping ministries going rather than planning for their future. I think moving to a new church and taking a break from paid ministry for a time dented my confidence.”

But Jen says God has been reminding her that he is her strength (Psalm 28:7). “God has been teaching me that it doesn't really matter how confident I feel about the effectiveness of my ministry, my confidence should be in Him. I just need to be willing to do it.”

Jen has found great encouragement in Ashgrove’s ministry to families, particularly their Playgroup and the many natural opportunities it brings to witness to other mothers.

One of Jen’s favourite family outreach events has been a Valentine’s Day Kids’ Club. Volunteers from Ashgrove Baptist ran a program for kids from the local public school to give their parents a chance to go on a date. Another creative outreach event Ashgrove has hosted that really engaged the local community was an Easter art show which Jen says drew many families to their Easter services.  

When she’s taking a break from thinking about how the gospel can impact local families, you’ll find Jen enjoying adventures with her family or painting with water colours.

Pray for Jen

• Pray for Jen that God would renew her strength and help her prepare for the future while on maternity leave.

• Pray Ashgrove Baptist’s children’s ministry team would continue to run smoothly while Jen’s on leave.

• Pray that Jen will live a life of integrity and walk closely with God each day through this season of life.

Emma Anderson